Sunday 24 October 2010

News and Magazine production – Week three

For me the third week of the production process has been mainly taken up with research. I decided to look on the internet for other magazines that are of a similar nature to the one that we are attempting to produce. Though I was unable to find anything identical to our pitch (which is actually a good thing) I found several web based magazines that are on the subject of urban exploration. I’ve decided to read through and study them to give myself some ideas.

URBEX – Urbex seems to have only been produced twice and had a six month interval between issues. I quite enjoyed the first person perspective writing and it is something I had already planned to use in my own feature piece. The magazine is understandably image led, I felt the text was printed in too small of a font which made it difficult to read.

http://www.explonation.com/magazines/book/3-urbex-mag-2/1-urbex-mag

DRAINOR – This magazine is a UK based Urbex production. Unfortunately only a very small preview was available to view so I am unable to comment on the strength of their writing, however the producers of the magazine have used a lot colour and bold text on the cover and first few pages which is very attention grabbing, I may purchase a copy and look further into it.

http://www.drainormagazine.com/preview.html

JINX – Probably the best one I have read, they have collated a lot of stories from all over the word including some really good work in a “Chernobyl Journal”

“Jinx is the magazine of Worldwide Urban Adventure. Jinx publishes its reports on urban exploration and international adventure here, along with dossiers of its Friends and Enemies. The magazine has been published, irregularly, since 1997. It has been online-only since 2001.” From the Jinxmagazine site.

This is a really great site, and I am going to continue looking into it further.

http://www.jinxmagazine.com

On Tuesday, which was the third class session of this project we presented our ideas and “mood boards” Our group was almost complete with only one member missing which was quite a good turnout. Our next task is to have draft features completed by next Tuesday. I am confident I can get my completed; I also have to get at least one interview and I will email a site that I have followed for sometime now, which I believe to be one of the best Urbex sites and defiantly worth checking out.

www.zenfolio.com/anotherstateofmind

No comments:

Post a Comment